Friday, August 21, 2009

Third Times a Charm

On August 18th my mom and her boyfriend of eight years, Jim, said their vowels in front of a small group of friends and family at a little wedding chapel on the Las Vegas strip. Due to the world we live in you could watch the wedding live on their website.

My mom told us kids a few months back that her and Jim were getting married in August but it kind of just slipped my mind up until the actual day it happened. My pal Jarod and I were out enjoying some happy hour cocktails and I told him I needed to be at home or at least near a computer at 8 to watch my mom get married. Jarod became very excited about this prospect and said we could go to his house because he wanted to watch too.

He met my mom about seven years ago when her and my sister Nikki came to visit Portland about a year after I moved here. My mom didn't like Jarod at first even threatening to kick his ass but he won her over by the end of the night so much so that she was talking about flying Jarod to Vegas. So for years I got shit from Jarod about this saying that he was going to go live in Vegas with my mom and he would be my step-dad. This never happened thank god, I think it was just the alcohol talking.

Anyways, Jarod thought my mom was cool and was excited to watch her get married. We even stopped by the store and he bought champagne for the event. We set up the computer and he plugged in the speakers so we had surround sound for the joyous occasion. The website, 702wedding.com, had cameras set up throughout the chapel so you could see into any room. At 8 o'clock sharp the doors opened and my mom, accompanied by my uncle David, walked down the short isle to Jim, her third husband to be.

The ceremony was short and sweet. My mom was visibly nervous. I kept looking at her hands as she spoke because I know how much she fidgits when she is nervous. She is shy and doesn't like being the center of attention or speaking in front of crowds so I could tell she was scared. Jim's tie was way too short and it was really bothering Jarod as he sipped his slightly warm champagne. Jim's tie was too short and I would find out later that he was real self conscious about it but my mom picked it out and she insisted it was fine. Jarod wouldn't shut up about it though . The wedding was over in fifteen minutes and the preacher dude asked my mom if she wanted to say anything to anyone who might be watching online. She turned to the camera and nervously said "Hi guys!" waving to us kids. Then they took pictures and it was all done. My champagne was gone, Jarod was drunk and cracking a beer so it was the perfect time for me to exit.

Driving to my next destination I thought about how funny it was that mom had the perfect third wedding. It was at a chapel in Las Vegas that had a drive thru and I got to watch it live from Portland. She said one of the reasons they picked it was because they had the web-cam option and seeing that none of her kids could actually be there at least we could watch it as it happened. I didn't tell many people till after the fact and everyone seemed pissed that I didn't tell them so they could watch it too. It was just so last minute in my mind and I didn't think many people would give a shit. But they did so, sorry to the people who were bummed I didn't tell them ahead of time. This is her third marriage and hopefully her last so there probably won't be a next time. BUT if there is I will give you all ample warning so that you may watch my mom get married, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment