Monday, May 18, 2009

Fucking Swine Flu Hysteria

Swine flu is in Osaka, which is 40 minutes away from my town by train so today they cancelled all final exams and closed down the school. Most students are happy that exams are cancelled but I have been studying/working my ass off so I am not happy. I am not sure what this means for our final grades but they're in meetings discussing it as we speak, sense my sarcasm? The Japanese are so goddamn paranoid in general so now that Swine Flu is sweeping Asia they are going crazy. One thing that has really pissed my off about Swine Flu is the way the media has covered it. It's bullshit and all they have done is create a massive hysteria. Yet another example of irresponsible journalism. How do these people get degrees and jobs? I don't think the media always realizes how much responsibility their bear when it comes to shaping public opinion. 

I know my school is just taking precautionary measures but people are rushing to the grocery stores stocking up on food because they have been advised to stay indoors. Seriously people. Do you know how many people died from the flu last year? 36,000. Did you hear about one of them? No. I know this is a bit different because it's a new strain so the unfamiliarity of it all makes it more threatening, I get it. But still. My last week in Japan, taken hostage by Swine Flu. Boo. I must be old because I am the only person at my school that is bummed that I can't take my finals. Oh and they cancelled our graduation ceremony that was on Saturday. Boo!! No free food or alcohol.

1 comment: