Friday, May 22, 2009

Little Red Buckets Revisited















I wrote about these little red buckets after my visit to the hospital a couple of months ago. Today, after putting it off for the last month, I returned to the hospital to take back my crutches. I've been avoiding doing this because knowing the Japanese, I thought this would be a long drawn out process. Japan must not realize that paper comes from trees because they require you to fill out a form for everything. In school I would get an insane amount of handouts each week. Seriously, the amount of paper I have been given in four months from my teachers is like one or two years worth at my school back home. It's ridiculous. Anyways, back to the hospital. I was sure they were going cause some big scene over the crutches. I suck at Japanese and they suck at English so A+B=procrastination. 

As I approached the hospital I noticed that it looked really dead, ha! no pun intended. There were no cars or bikes out front, no one smoking a cig outside, not a sign of life anywhere. I figured with the recent Swine Flu mess that this place would be crawling with people, all who swear that they have the flu. It was so dead that I thought maybe they were closed but as I approached the automatic doors they opened. I walked inside and it was the strangest sight ever. The whole place was completely empty. I have never seen a hospital empty before. The television was blaring with grunts from the Sumo match. It was really eerie. The only two people were these women behind one of the counters. I took my receipt and just handed it to them. 

Luckily, they just looked up my file and handed me my 5,000 yen($50) deposit and I was on my way. It was painless but creepy. I wanted to take a photo but the ladies watch me as I walked away. So I turned the corner and snapped the photo of the buckets and walked real fast towards the door. I looked behind me and they had come from behind the counter to look at what I took a picture of. I just pointed to the buckets, waved and walked out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment