Thursday, March 26, 2009

My time here wouldn't be complete without a hospital visit!

Well, I somehow managed to make my time here even harder.  After a hellish week of midterms I decided to go out and get drunk. I was pretty successful and was making my way towards the bus stop to head home. Some of the sidewalks here are weird and in certain spots they kinda slant up for a second on the sides, if that makes any sense. I have almost fallen a few times and last week I sort of tweaked my ankle but it was fine. So as I am walking last night I fell again and twisted my ankle. I couldn't walk and had to be carried home. Passed out thinking nothing of it but woke up in intense pain to find my ankle really swollen. When I tried to get up I knew something was wrong. I couldn't walk or put any weight on it. I knew I had to pay a visit to my least favorite in the world: the hospital.

We have two resident advisors in my building, a girl named Midori and a dude named Shinji. Midori wasn't here so Shinji had to accompany me to the hospital. I could tell he was nervous because I'm a girl and because he's self-conscious about his english skills. Thank god he was there though because he was able to translate everything for me. He was filling out my paper work and he got kind of nervous and said he was sorry but he needed to know my weight. I don't know my weight or height in kgs so he decided to skip that section. Then he got all nervous again and pointed to the form and said, "uh, umm woman's question. Are you pregnant?" I busted up laughing and he turned all red. No, I am not pregnant. He seemed relieved. I didn't have to wait long to see the doctor. He had to pull up my jeans some and of course I haven't shaved in a week so my legs are all hairy. He says we need an X-ray. Shinji has to leave to attend to some business so a girl who works in the language lab at my school comes to take his place. Her name is Mitasu.

She is very talkative which is nice because Shinji and I barely spoke. So I get an X-ray and it's not broke but I tore a ligament and chipped the bone. My foot was all bent sideways so he had to set it in this a cast type thing and then sent me to the rehabilitation  wing of the hospital  to get crutches. This hospital is very old and is filled with old people who all love to stare at me. This dude in a wheel chair had his mouth open and followed me around as I tried to learn to use the crutches. Crutches are hard to use and very uncomfortable.  I am a clumsy person and crutches and me aren't going to be good friends. I have almost tripped twice trying to walk with them. The visit was $200 plus the $20 I had to spend to take a taxi there and back. 

This couldn't have happened at a worse time. I walk to school, I walk everywhere so what the hell am I going to do? I have no one to help me, I have my flat mates but they have their own shit to worry about. I am so not happy, fuck it I am pissed. I always hurt myself and I am used to it but I really was hoping I could go four months without an injury and/or hospital visit. The worse part is that I will probably be crippled for a month. I am in so much pain too. I got some drugs from the doctor so I am going to take them now and go to drugged out dream land.  One good thing that came out of this is that I made my first Japanese friend. I was at the hospital for hours and her and I chatted it up. I told her I hadn't made any Japanese friends yet and she said she was happy to be the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment