Saturday, March 28, 2009

I'm having a pity party and you're all invited!

I'll provide the entertainment which will include me hobbling around on one leg and me trying to use my crutches, almost tripping myself every few seconds. It's going to be a riot. Please being pain killers that actually work. Please arrive at 7 p.m. call for directions. Woohoo, yahoooo! yessssss! Anyhow, I seem get two responses when people learn of my newest ailment. 1) They ask me if I was drunk. 2) Everyone seems to have the response of either, "only you," "I'm not surprised," "Why do you always hurt yourself?" 

My answer to the first question is yes I was drunk. However, I have rolled my ankle on those stupid ramp like sidewalks a handful of times, sober mind you so being drunk doesn't mean much. Last week when I rolled it I was sure I messed it up but it was OK. I think I put too much strain on it so this time when I walked on the ramp part of the sidewalk my ankle finally gave out. I was really worried this was going to happen so I was consciously making an effort to not walk on the ramps but I kept forgetting and would do it again and almost fall. When I fell the other night I knew right away that it was bad. But I was in denial and thought if I just slept it off I would wake up in the morning and it would magically be all better. 

My response to number is two is yeah of course I am going to get injured while I am in Japan, why wouldn't I? It would be too easy and simple for me to get through four months without getting hit by a car on my bike, falling through a porcelain sink and destroying my hand or having a dude playing pool smash the light fixture above my head with this pool stick only to have glass rain on me cutting my leg and foot. I can't seem to go longer than two months without some stupid injury that usually requires me to visit the ER. I hate this about my life because a lot of it is out of my control. Accidents and trouble seem to love me and no matter how careful I am I still manage to get fucked up. No one is surprised that this happened while I am here but I am. I have been so cautious and careful because I didn't want to deal with something like this while I was away from home. 

This is all this dude on a bikes fault too. I was walking in the middle of the sidewalk avoiding those stupid ramps on the sides, which are for bikes by the way, when this cyclist comes barreling down the middle of the sidewalk. I thought he would for surely veer to the side but he didn't so I had to move and walk on the ramp part to get out of his way and then BAM! I twisted my ankle. I am in pity party mode in case you haven't noticed because this just flat out sucks. I had to put a chair in the shower so that I could actually take a shower. I feel like a 90 year old cripple. You never realize how much you really need your limbs. I used the crutches for a total of 10 minutes yesterday and I could barely pull myself out of bed today because my arms were so sore. 

This is going to be yet another challenge that I must face in Japan. One month out of the two I have left here is some what ruined because of this. I can't do certain things like go walk around Kyoto this weekend to see the cherry blossoms bloom or head to Nagoya to meet up with my friend Jeremy. I just feel that I am going to miss out in a lot because of this. But there's nothing I can do about it I guess but suck it up and roll with it. And I will, I always do. But for today and maybe tomorrow I am just really depressed about it. I have no one to help me and I feel like coming home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment