Monday, April 27, 2009

I wonder...

How different my experience studying in Japan would be if I was between the ages of 18-20. I hate to make age such an issue. I always believed it didn't make that much of a difference, with most things, but after this experience I have to say that age does matter. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, for example if you go through a lot of shit at a young age you're usually a head of the rest but at the end of the day what it comes down to is this: No matter how smart we may be, in general it's our life experiences, good and bad, that are supposed to make us smarter, stronger people. We build from these learning experiences, hopefully, and become better people. 

The shit these kids are going through here I cannot relate to at all. Yes, I went through similar trials and tribulations but that was ten years ago. I don't relate to the person I was ten years ago, at all. It's just been hard not being able to relate to people here. I am the type of person who can find a common ground with anyone but I guess that's because I am not usually hanging out with 19 year olds who are spoiled and have never had to endure anything in life except for when their Japanese girlfriend, who they dated for 2 weeks, breaks up with them over a text message or even better, their rich parents told them no about staying in Japan this summer. 

I'm not trying to be harsh but seriously people, there are bigger concerns in the world but I guess not when you're 19. I know it's easy for me to say all of this knowing what I know now but I was never this spoiled or clueless when I was their age. There are a few people here who make the time here better so I guess I should just be thankful for them. I can't wait to come home. Made it three months, one more to go. This has been hard but its been amazing. I have learned so much about Japanese history and that's what I came here to do. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying every 18, 19 and 20 year old is like this or is stupid, just a lot of the ones I have met in Japan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment