Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Little Red Buckets

I think I have mentioned this in a previous entry about how I haven't seen any pregnant women or any bugs since I have been in Japan. I saw a pregnant lady the other day who looked like she was about to burst. I still haven't seen any bugs, not one, however on this lovely spring evening I can hear some type of insect singing outside on my balcony. I do not like bugs nor would I say I miss them but you get used to sharing the earth with them so it's kind of weird not having them around.

I may have been a bit too ambitious yesterday thinking I could frolic in the sun on one crutch. I think I may of put too much weight on my ankle too soon because last night it was killing me. Today has been bad to. My flat mate looked at me like I was insane when I said I was going to attempt to go grocery shopping. She insisted on doing it for me which was very nice of her. I received an awesome care package today from home filled with goodies, I love getting mail here but not that many people have sent me any. Hint Hint. Come on, I know a package is too expensive but it only cost 94 cents to send a letter or a postcard! 

I forgot to mention something I thought was funny about the hospital. Well, first of all, the fire extinguishers here aren't enclosed in glass cases. They are either sitting on an open shelve or just sitting on the ground against the wall. My theory is, in Japan you don't have to worry about some asshole pulling the key and spraying it everywhere like someone would in the U.S. So, I was sitting in the hallway waiting to be called back to see the doctor and I looked over and saw the fire extinguisher sitting on the floor. BUT, sitting right next to it was a red mop bucket filled with water. So, you're telling me that if the place is burning up in a blaze of glory you want me to throw a measly bucket of water on it? I thought this was so funny. When I had to head to another wing of the hospital I noticed that these buckets were strategically placed around every corner. 

I asked my translator to explain because surely I was wrong. Nope, she confirmed, "If there is fire, throw water on fire to put fire out. Then call for help if needed." I mean yeah if it was something small like some old dudes hospital gown or a pillow but if a room or wing of the hospital is on fire, those little buckets of water will not do shit. It's cute but a little naive. It seems to go along with the idea in Japanese culture that you never want to inconvenience anyone so you go out of your way, refusing to ask for help fearing that you might put someone out. Do they think they're going to annoy the firemen who are stationed right down the street? I don't know but it's one of the cultural differences that I will never understand. In the U.S., if you need help, you ask and for the most part we don't view as an inconvenience unless we dislike the person or if it's an outlandish request. On the flips side of it, the Japanese are so polite and accommodating, they will help you, the foreigner, with anything even if it is an inconvenience to them and they will never let you know you put them out either. In the U.S., we usually don't do things that are going to inconvenience ourselves and if we do we have a Not so subtle way of letting the other person know it either through body language or from our big mouths. I know this is a bit of a generalization but you get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment