Thursday, February 19, 2009

にほんご wants to kill me.

Thursdays are hell. I go to school all day, five out of six of my classes back to back with less than 10 minutes in between each class. I am usually ready to shoot myself by the time it's over and have no desire whatsoever to walk home.  Today was especially bad because this week has taken its toll on me mentally. The language classes are killing me but I refuse to go down without a fight. I honestly can't remember the last time I felt this challenged as far as academia is concerned. When I was taking Russian like a year ago, I was pulling my hair out but this is ten times harder. I was letting it get the best of me the other day and was so close to saying fuck it, I'll get an F, but then I remembered that I felt this same way with math and I conquered that shit. Math, music and language are on the same side of the brain and are harder for your brain to process the older you get. Seriously though, all this week I have been working so hard with very little improvement it seems, that I physically feel and look exhausted. As I was making my way home, I had the most bitter look on my face. My feet have blisters from walking so much and it was just about to rain. My favorite leopard print umbrella, that I bought almost 8 years ago when I first moved to Portland, broke on me the other night. I was so pissed. So, I am walking and thinking too myself that if it starts raining I might have a breakdown. I'm getting closer and closer to my dorm and in the distance an old man on a bike looking sharp in a 3 piece suit is approaching. I've made it a habit of making eye contact as I pass people on the street and giving them the proper greeting but most of the time the locals and internationals don't look at me or hear me or they ignore me but I still do it, even when I am having a shitty day. Well, I see this man coming closer and closer and he has the biggest cutest smile on his face and I'm thinking that he won't even look my way but I'll say hello anyways and right before I could get Konnichiwa out of my mouth, he said it first. I said it back as he passed and then he yelled out in the cutest broken english EVER, "You have great smile!" It started to rain but I didn't care because the little old dude on the bike made my day, hell-- he made my week. It's so cliche but true but sometimes it really is the little things in life...

No comments:

Post a Comment