Saturday, February 21, 2009

That lady with the red hair.

That's what one of my flat mates called me when Becca asked her who was in the living room. She replied, "The lady with the red hair and someone with black hair." Becca says, "Nateesh and Paul?" She replies with a yes. 

Well, there are a few funny things about this. A: she's been living with me for three weeks and has had many conversations with me and has heard my name a million times but she still doesn't know it? B: Lady? I'm not offended she forgot my name because lets face it, it's hard to remember cos it's different but lady? A lady is someone who is much older than me and someone with a lot of class, I have charm but not much class. C: The person with the black hair she was referring too was actually her other flat mate, Kim, not Paul who lives downstairs. 

What the hell? There are four rooms in our flat. Two single rooms, I have one and Jess has the other. Kim and Maggie share a room and Becca and Tierra share the other. Jess is Chinese and British. Her parents are both chefs so she always makes the best looking food, girl can cook. She's really cute. Becca is from Wales and speaks fluent Welsh. She's 19 and is becoming one of my favorite people here. It's been so funny talking to her about the differences between America and Britain. I feel like I have been able to break some stereotypes she has had about Americans and vice versa. She reminds me of my best friend Sierra, in the sense that she is petite, short and spunky. She has excellent style too. She has a habit of opening the fridge and then just leaving it open as she cooks and eats her food. The other day she took some leftovers out of the fridge, sat down and cleaned her plate, washed her plate and then shut the door. I pointed this out to here and she started laughing saying that she thinks she secretly does it to spite her mom because any time she opens the fridge back home, even if it's for a second, her mom yells at her to close it so no flies get in. HA! 

Tiera is 20 from Maryland and loves Asian everything. Girl has been to Korea, China and Japan numerous times. She doesn't drink and I have a sneaking suspicion that she might be sort of religious. She seems very clean cut, doesn't drink or cuss and seems very proper. Both of her parents work for the government. Kim is 20 and from Texas but she has been going to school in Madrid, Spain for a while and plans to finish her degree there. It's an American university but in Spain. Her mom is Japanese so she grew up with a lot of Japanese culture and food as well as coming to Japan all her life. Maggie, another one of my favorites, is 25 and from Philly. She cracks me up. She is a very unique person. She has her own style and has a bad ass bike. Her boyfriend lives in Osaka, which is 4o minutes by train, so she leaves every weekend to see him. His name is Nori and I think he used to live in Philly but they never knew each other. She is in 5th level Japanese and is super good at it. After she's done here,  she got accepted to this 9 week intensive Japanese language program in Vermont where you can only speak in Japanese at all times. She has a lot of charm and cusses a lot, which I like. 

And then there's me. 29 year old from Portland, Oregon who sucks at Japanese. I have been sort of shy and timid and not the crazy outgoing Nateesh everyone knows and for the most part loves. I'm starting to come out of my shell and you have no idea how weird it is to say that cos I have never been in a shell, ever! But it's taught me a lot about myself and I am glad that I am here on this crazy adventure. I often feel lost and frustrated yet at the same time I feel like my eyes are wide open. I love learning about different cultures, Japanese and beyond. In the states a hot toddie is a hot delicious whiskey drink but in Britain it's a hot athletic man. A fanny is an butt in the U.S. but in Britain it's the slang for vagina. When they sneeze in Britain they say tissue as they do it, why? Well, I guess it's from an old Nursery rhyme that goes, "Ring around the rosies pocket full of posies tissue tissue we all fall down." We know that one but ashes replaces tissues. I don't get it. When you want to knock on someone's door, it's called bashing. There are tons more that I can't think of right now so I'll have to get back to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment