Thursday, February 5, 2009

I'm a bit homesick.

Today I had five classes right in a row. I went from 11 to 530 with about 10 minutes in between each class. I thought I was going to die. I forgot my wallet at home so I couldn't grab any food on my short ten minute breaks so I was starving by the time I got home. I keep thinking of things I want to tell you guys about Japan and then I forget by the time I make it on here. This place blows my mind daily. I know I told you all or at least showed the picture of the squat toilet I used in Kyoto but that has been the only one I have seen so far BUT I did forget to mention that a lot of the toilets have heated seats! Yes, with adjustments for your comfort level. And in some of the stalls, like the ones at my school, there's a button next to the toilet that makes a fake flushing sound so no one can hear you go to the bathroom. And the doors go from the ceiling to the floor. 

Also I was told by my flat mate Maggie about a few other grocery stores near by so I no longer have to go to the one where the lady yells at me while the marching bands plays. That shit was making me crazy and I was leaving there with massive headaches. There's a liquor store near by called Liquor World, clever. One thing that is crazy about Japan is that they are either the first or second safest industrialized country in the world. The number one crime committed here is bike theft. I'm not saying that bad shit doesn't happen but the crime levels are so low. I asked my teacher why and he said one of the reasons is because people don't own guns. And the punishments here are pretty serious for drugs. For example, before I arrived here my school sent me a package in the mail about drug laws. I wasn't even allowed to bring  Nyquil or Sudafed into the country. If you get caught with pot here, you are screwed. One thing that's funny is pot is a huge no no here but they don't know the pot leave is extremely popular on clothing and accessories. I asked someone how they got away with advertising pot when the laws are so strict and someone told it's because they don't realize that it's associated with pot. Huh? yeah that's what I was thinking. So you can wear the pot leaf proudly just don't get caught smoking it or you're screwed. 

In the beer section of the store, they have cans of juice and various mixers to mix with liquor but here they call them "Cocktail Partners" ha! I love it. I need a cocktail partner in more ways than one. I feel really homesick today. I would kill for my nice comfortable bed back home. I'm currently subletting my room do this guy named Armando Blanco, what a bad ass name.  He seems real cool so hopefully he doesn't burn the house down during a killer party or something, I'm kidding. Anyways, I am just going to study my ass off here, get good grades and then before I know it I'll be back in Portland. I don't think I will ever get used to the time difference. When I get up in the morning to go to school it's late in the afternoon in Portland and when I get home from school it's like 1 in the morning in Portland. I go to bed when you get up for work. I'm almost a full day ahead. It still messes with my head. Oh and I guess it's ridiculously expensive to send packages to Japan which sucks because I would love some care packages but you guys should send me something, a letter or postcard. But if you have money to spare or burn send me a care package. I would love mail cos I'm pretty lonely these days. Here's my address: 
Nateesh Podolske
c/o Center for International Education
Kansai Gaidai University
16-1 Nakamiyahigashino-cho, Hirakata, Osaka
573-1001 Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment